Saturday, September 3, 2011

Colin, one of the guys on the UK Workshop forum, started a really interesting thread about creativity and the development of ideas. Philip Streeting joined the discussion and set a brief for us to consider. He showed us some plant forms and suggested we take some element of the 'design' and use it for creating something.

It really made me think about the sort of turning I want to do and how I could somehow escape from the everyday making round objects and inject a little 'art'.





.
This little boxwood form is the first attempt. The outside is natural box and the inner 'egg' is coloured with gouache and then the whole is lacquered.

NOTE TO ACCOUNTANT: (Wife) I need some more tools for carving and shaping!!

4 comments:

  1. Really like this project, the texturing on the behind bit contrasts really well.
    Like the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. This sort of turning is new to me but I'm already into the next project. Its fun this turnin' thang!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've been experimenting with some more contempory designs, using texturing, liming and spirit stains for wall hangings etc. How did you do the cut aways on this project, looks like it took quite a bit of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time consuming it was. Mostly done with Dremel metal burrs in an airtool. It runs hugely faster than the Dremel and cuts pretty quickly. As I don't have too many suitable tools, I made up abrasive stuck to lolly sticks for smoothing off. A bit slow.

    ReplyDelete