Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Time to play

In between doing important stuff, I was asked to make a weather vane. Several houses round here have planes and a bit tacky they are too.


However, it seemed a good opportunity to have a go at something a bit better, so as I had a sheet of exterior ply, I made a generic sort of second world war fighter. The plies give the opportunity to create a cockpit shape and fin without any carving etc.

As I liked the look of it, I thought I'd make us one too. So one sort of hurricanish thing and a Mosquito. Not intended to be scale models but to capture the essence.





I sprayed ours silver for now but will do a full paint job this winter when it comes in for a rest from the weather.

It looks great with both props wizzing round. I am told I have done it all wrong as the props counter rotate. Apparently Merlins only went in one direction!!!! If you won't tell anyone, neither will I.

Whilst we are being picky, I am sure someone will say that the Mozzie had three bladed props!! As it happens there was a four bladed version so there (not a lot of people know that). Also, they are much easier to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment